Friday, February 11, 2011

The Friends of Mr. Cairo cont'd...

After being in power almost as long as King Tut, Egyptian prez Mubarek stepped down today after saying, just like Alberta Premier Ed Stelmach did last week, he wouldn't step down until September.  That apparently pissed the people off.

Coincidentally, on this day in 1979, the Shah of Iran was overthrown in the Iranian Revolution.  And guess where the Shah went in exile? 

Egypt!

So why no revolution in Alberta?  Come on people!  Stand up!  Let's send Ed to P.E.I.!

Anyway, I don't know what toothpaste is popular in Cairo but our Prime Minister is right on this... 

"I think the old expression is: 'They're not going to put the toothpaste back in the tube on this one.' "  He said Canada would like those in power in Egypt to lead change.

"Get in front of it," he added. "Be part of it, and make a bright future happen for the people of Egypt."
Why do I get the feeling that this isn't what's going to happen?  Especially since Mubarek handed power over to the military.

I don't know.  Call me pessimistic on this one.

No comments: