Thursday, December 31, 2009

Prorogue to insenaty or senate reform?

A couple weeks ago I mentioned that Prime Minister Harper might prorogue parliament. Well, he has, until early March.  Thirty-five bills die, but several important ones got amended and some were stalled in the Liberal-dominated senate. 

So now that's done, I don't think this had much to do with the Afghan detanee issue, but that the next question is whether Harper will then appoint the vacant senate seats giving the Conservatives a majority in the senate, which Canada hasn't had in a long time. And, it's been so long, I don't remember, but I'd guess around the mid-90's after Jean Chretien made a pile of appointments. So I'd like to point out again that the Liberals have no credibility if they make a huff about senate appointments when they have never made any progress when in government on making the senate elected, equal, or accountable with their long list of appointments in Canadian parliamentary history.

My guess is that Harper will definitely make those appointments.  Then after resuming parliament again and introducing a new budget and reintroduce the bills the died, the real question at hand is...

Will we continue with "insenaty" (i.e. all talk and no action on senate reform) or will Canada finally see some real progress toward modifying the senate and improving our democracy?


Read more here.

6 comments:

Marx-A-Million said...

I am furious! I'm not sure why I am furious, but when I see my brave Xena Warrior Princess Libby Davies rocking her lips of fury, I am placed into a hypnotic trance of moral outrage. Once Bob Rae becomes Chancellor, I am hoping that we can do away with pesky elections.

Anonymous said...

He would be a fool if he didn't fill the vacant senate seats.

Rob C

Anonymous said...

I'm assuming he will make them pledge to step down if there is a Senate election as the previous Conservative-appointed senators pledged to do.

Skinny Dipper said...

Proroguing is all about the Afghan inquiry.

Anonymous said...

parliment closed until march. wow. what a bonus. no stupid laws being passed. our limited freedom continues. what could possibly be wrong with that? old white guy.

Alberta Girl said...

"Proroguing is all about the Afghan inquiry"

Says who skinny.....

What a dolt....especially in light of the murders by one of these poor, poor Taliban of five Canadians.

Are you really that stupid skinny?