Wednesday, June 09, 2010

DO NOT FEED THE WILDLIFE

As a frequent traveller to the glorious and majestic Jasper National Park, this just makes me furious.

When friends in my car say, "Oh, look, a bear! Let's go take a picture!", I slow down a bit (in case the bear decides to make a run for it), say, "Sure!" then continue on.

"Hey, why didn't you stop?" my friends would ask.

I reply, "Because you're not supposed to.  The more cars that stop, the more tolerant the bears are near the road. And the more bears are near the highway, the more cars that will hit and kill them.  Get it?"

And not only should you NEVER stop at the side of the road to take your crappy pictures of elk, moose, caribou, and bears, you especially should never ever ever feed them, for the same reason.  You are actually KILLING them.

It's apparent that many people are totally ignorant of this fact.

Parks Canada should simply put up some road signs that say:

"FEEDING WILDLIFE WILL RESULT IN A $1000 FINE AND BANISHMENT FROM THE PARK."

1 comment:

Jake said...

Dang! Just when I figured out a population control for Toronto Liberals you go and say I can't feed the bears.

I had no idea Toronto Liberals were toxic to bears.